Director Hardware Engineering
Las Vegas, NV 89101 United States
Role purpose You are the development lead for major hardware projects from the concept phase through 90 days post-launch. You’ll ensure a successful handover of the design for production readiness from New Product Development to Manufacturing Operations and the Sustaining Engineering teams.
You’re able to develop a plan that meets stakeholders’ requirements for hardware delivery, including negotiations in order to meet the cost, quality, and delivery expectations. Negotiations are often required with other internal customers determining trade-offs between conflicting requirements, industrial design, electrical & mechanical features, costs, supplier requests, and manufacturing operations.
You are the single point of contact representing Hardware Engineering at the Program Core Team. You manage through influence, without any direct reports, leading the cross-functional team through every phase gate deliverable.
What You'll Do
- Must ensure teams follow the correct procedures, policies, and documentation requirements as outlined in the HDP (Hardware Development Process) template.
- Able to guide the team through the development, testing, and implementation stages and review the completed work effectively.
- Provide direction and expertise in design, development, and systems integration where appropriate. Delegate and successfully enable team members on highly complex issues.
- Make quick decisions and solve technical problems to provide an efficient environment for project implementation.
- Able to understand and make trade-offs between different engineering disciplines.
- Understand a wide range of materials, manufacturing processes, and methods to deploy various aspects of design.
- Able to understand and implement stakeholder requirements as defined by the MRD (Marketing Requirements Document).
- Support the product feasibility study during the concept phase.
- Ensure design concepts are fit for purpose prior to exiting the Concept Phase.
- Able to integrate new technologies within existing design or system architectures.
- Support NPI (New Product Introduction) manufacturing operations during the launch of new products.
- Provide support, direction, and leadership for all phases of pre-production builds.
- Support field service departments during the initial launch and installation of products.
- Has authority and accountability for actions and decisions within project delivery, including functional, financial, quality, and timeline aspects.
- Works effectively with the Hardware Project Manager to establish project plans (cost, quality, time) and assign responsibilities.
- Absorbs complex information and communicates effectively at all levels to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Proactively manages changes in project scope, identifies potential crises, and provides resolution quickly with minimal disruption to the project team.
- Successfully applies a wide range of technical and/or management principles to manage and mitigate risk.
- Proactively balances and resolves conflicting stakeholder requirements – supply chain, field service, customer, supplier, marketing, and finance.
- Directs engineering resources through influence to meet the needs of the project.
What We're Looking For
- Minimum 10 years of experience leading product development teams in a cross-matrix environment
- A Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering discipline preferred
- Experience within a large global organization
- Experience with complex systems products
- Commercial acumen
- Strong leadership capabilities that work within a matrix-type organization
- High-level skills in areas such as team management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of product development and phase gate process
- Experience developing gaming industry equipment is preferred
- Attention to detail and problem-solving/creative-thinking techniques
- Methodical approach to work, the ability to meet deadlines, and work well under pressure
- Adaptable to change
- Can operate within a dynamic environment
- Ability to travel globally (approximately 25%)
- Ability to navigate and work with conflicting or contradictory requirements
This is an onsite position located in Las Vegas, NV with a hybrid work schedule of 3+ days onsite every week. Time will be spent at two locations in Las Vegas, our Summerlin and Birtcher offices, depending on the phase of each project.
Aristocrat is a world leader in gaming content and technology, and a top-tier publisher of free-to-play mobile games. We deliver great performance for our B2B customers and bring joy to the lives of the millions of people who love to play our casino and mobile games. And while we focus on fun, we never forget our responsibilities. We strive to lead the way in responsible gameplay, and to lift the bar in company governance, employee wellbeing, and sustainability. We’re a diverse business united by shared values and an inspiring mission to bring joy to life through the power of play.
We aim to create an environment where individual differences are valued, and all employees have the opportunity to realize their potential. We welcome and encourage applications from all people regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, cultural background, disability status or LGBTQ+ identity. We offer a range of flexible working options through all.flex, our flexible hybrid work model and invite you to have a conversation with us about flexible working. EEO M/F/D/V
- World Leader in Gaming Entertainment
- Robust benefits package
- Global career opportunities
- All about the Player
- Talent Unleashed
- Collective Brilliance
- Good Business Good Citizen
The US-based roles may require registration with the Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB) and/or other gaming jurisdictions in which we operate.